Dr. Michael Gontarek is a graduate of Palmer College of Chiropractic (Port Orange, FL) where he obtained his Doctor of Chiropractic degree. He graduated from Addison Trail High School before pursuing a degree in Kinesiology/Pre-Med at the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign as a Chick Evans Scholar where he graduated with honors. Dr. Gontarek’s passion for nutrition and helping patients optimize their health led him to pursue a Master of Science degree in the field of Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine through the University of Western States (UWS) (Portland, OR) during the last year of his doctorate education. He became a published author in the peer-reviewed journal entitled Nutritional Perspectives where he published two review articles pertaining to the topics of prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Sarcopenia following graduation from UWS. Dr. Gontarek is also board certified in clinical nutrition through the American Clinical Board of Nutrition and is a member of the American Chiropractic Association Council on Nutrition.
Dr. Gontarek is exceptionally passionate about educating, empowering, and assisting his patients in becoming advocates of their own health and wellbeing. His examination and treatment styles are rooted heavily in the McKenzie method® of mechanical diagnosis and therapy® (MDT) and physical movement therapy such as strength and pilates-based rehabilitation. For the patients and clients that seek nutrition guidance, Dr. Gontarek’s evaluation & coaching style is rooted in evidence-based, fundamental education in hopes of helping the patient/client understand the “why” behind their care.
Dr. Gontarek has been involved in numerous athletics since he was a young child. He was a 3-sport varsity athlete at Addison Trail High School and continued participating in various intramural sports during his time in undergraduate and graduate schools. He is an avid olympic weightlifter with a strong background in CrossFit and other forms of strength and metabolic conditioning. In his free time, Dr. Gontarek enjoys golfing, going on long walks with his fiancé and dog (Payton – the sweetest girl ever), and bringing friends and family together over a shared, home-cooked meal with a classic cocktail.
- Palmer College of Chiropractic | Port Orange, IL | 2015 – 2018
- University of Western States | Portland, OR | 2018 – 2021 (online)
- University of Illinois | Urbana/Champaign, IL | 2011 – 2015
- Licensed Chiropractic Physician in Illinois
- Board Certified Chiropractic Physician
- Board Certified in Clinical Nutrition through the American Clinical Board of Nutrition
- McKenzie Institute (MDT) A – Lumbar Spine
- McKenzie Institute (MDT) B – Cervical & Thoracic Spine
- McKenzie Institute (MDT) C – Advanced Lumbar Spine & Extremities – Lower Limb
- Gontarek, M. & Krabbe, J. (2021). The Role of a Mediterranean Diet in the Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Nutritional Perspectives, 44(3), 42-49.
- Gontarek, M. & Krabbe, J. (2021). Dietary Recommendations for Preventing Age-Related Muscle Loss in Sarcopenia: A Review. Nutritional Perspectives, 21-25.